This month’s newsletter includes:
The next meeting of the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District Board of Directors is scheduled for:
Wednesday, May 17, 2023
from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Join the Zoom meeting here.
Or call 1 408 638 0968 and enter Meeting ID: 847 8906 0820 Passcode: 972086
For questions, contact email@example.com.
View: the agenda, minutes of past Board meetings
- Artists! Artisans! Entertainment!
- Wear your gear, take back the day!
- Socialize, see kinky/queer art, check out the community "goods".
- The SF Eagle will be open; enjoy a beverage.
- Due to an MPX resurgence, we are partnering with the SF Department of Public Health to administer up to 300 vaccine doses.
- First and second doses available.
- Register here for the free vaccine.
- 12th Street, Folsom to Harrison, at the Eagle Plaza.
- Saturday, May 13, 12 noon to 5 pm
- Vendors include:
- ByrdBeaks, Femmmeow, FVCK CA, Gender Monster Studios, GlamPunkArt, GOOCH Photography, House of Haven Crafts, It's Simple SF, Mauskaveli, Ram Shackle Leather, skin on skins, Spikes Leather Consignment, and Tarot by Alexandria.
- Pup Jake will sketch you in charcoal live all through the fair.
- 1 pm - The Leather Pride Contingent is meeting at the Eagle (see below).
- 2 pm - Sumiko Saulson will conduct an erotic story writing workshop. Earn your Certificate of Smutification.
- Join us on our first walking tour: SOMA Origins: Bars, Bathhouses and Beyond
- Now a world-wide leather/kinky/queer destination, SOMA (South of Market) began attracting leather bars in the '60's. Find out why!
- Learn about the raucous exploits of the '70's when motorcycles lined the streets outside popular bars.
- Hear about today's bar and clubs and what they used to be, including one on Folsom with a swimming pool.
- Sunday, May 21, 2pm
- Tour starts at 9th and Ringold, ends at the SF Eagle in time for the Sunday Beer Bust.
- 90 minutes, no hills.
- Free! Space is limited; advance registratiion required.
- Narcan Training -- Overdose Response Workshop
- Wednesday, May 24, from 6 to 9 pm.
- At Oasis, 298 11th Street at Folsom
- Presented by Kochina Rude
- In cooperation with The LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District and Oasis
- Responding to the overdoses in our community.
- Each participant will receive a two-pack of Narcan.
- Free to anyone, however advance registration is required.
- This program continues and expands the training we have been offering to bar and club staff.
- See renown kinky and queer local art at a special Pride Pop-Up Art Show at Heron Arts,
- 7 Heron Alley, near 8th & Heron (behind Mr. S Leather).
- Attend the free opening reception on June 2, from 6 - 9 pm, featuring DJ Trevor Sigler and a special performance by Kochina Rude.
- See the gallery show by appointment between June 3rd and June 14th, 2023.
- This exhibition celebrates Pride month, and the LGBTQ+ community's cultural heritage in the SoMa neighborhood.
- Participating artists include Adam Caldwell, Aleckzander Anthony, Alex Prestia, Diego Gomez, Dorian Katz, Elliott C Nathan, Favianna Rodriguez, Gloria Polo, J Manuel Carmona, Johnny Botts, Jonesy, Josh Katz, Justin Hall, Kegan Marling, Luke Andahazy, Phil Chanin (Glitter Moonbeam), Serge Gay Jr., and Tanya Wischerath.
- Free and open to the public.
- Heron Arts is located at 7 Heron St, off of 8th Street near Harrison.
- Facebook event is here. Additional information is here.
- The next cohort of the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District's Entrepreneur Training Program begins on Thursday, June 22.
- This 9-week program helps leather community folk start and build their businesses.
- To apply please complete this application form.
- Click here for full info!
- We hope you were able to attend our Audacious Anniversary Party on May 6.
- Check out the pictures, here.
- The Leather Contingent rides again in the 2023 Pride Parade on June 25, 2023.
- The contingent organizes a parade entry, open to all, gear, leather and fetish attire encouraged.
- Organizer Robert Makowka invites you to attend an organizational meeting
- This Saturday, May 13th at 1:00 pm
- On the patio of the SF Eagle
- Conveniently adjacent to the SOMA Second Saturdays festivities (see above).
- Nominations for Leather Marshalls of all genders are now being accepted.
- Send your nominations to Robert with the subject "Leather Marshall”.
- Fund-raising is now under way to cover expenses.
- A Beer Bust at the SF Eagle on Sunday, June 4 is being planned
- Follow all the planning (and make suggestions) at the Facebook Group here.
- Also watch for updates here.
Mark your calendar for these newly-announced leather and kink community contests:
- The Mr. San Francisco Bear 2024 contest is scheduled for August 17-20, 2023.
- Cody "Codybear" Elkin (Mr. San Francisco Bear 2008, Mr. San Francisco Leather 2016) will provide details soon.
- The Bay Area Cub Contest will take place on Sunday, August 20, 2023, from 4 to 8 pm, during the Beer Bust at the Lone Star Saloon.
- This will end the title year of Bay Area Cub 2023 Daniel "Huggybear" Cherry.
- The contest, sponsored by the Bears of San Francisco promotes body positivity, community building, and philanthropy,
- The contest is non-gendered, and all definitions of "cub" are welcome.
- Potential contestants or sponsors are invited to contact BayAreaCubContest@gmail.com.
- Leather Alliance Weekend, September 7 - 10, 2023, will include both the Mr. SF Leather contest and the new Mx. SF Leather contest.
- Thursday, September 7, at 6 pm, Meet & Greet the contestants at Mr. S Leather.
- Friday, Sept. 8, evening, Contestant Introductions and Fantasy Grab Bag event.
- Saturday, September 9, at SOMArts, the Contests! followed by an Afterparty
- Sunday, afternoon, Titleholder Social.
- Contestant applications will be available June 2, and due by August 2.
- Watch for updates here or here.
- Join the Cultural District now!
- Membership is $15 (dues waiver available for financial hardship).
- Click here to join or renew.
- Do not share this link with others; it has been customized for you, and will expire in 7 days.
- For assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Help keep SOMA Kinky & Queer. Make a donation today!
- Your gift helps keep our kinky places and spaces in SOMA, and supports community events, performances and public art.
- Tell your friends they can sign up to receive this newsletter at sflcd.org/signup.
- Please use the social media links below to follow, repost, retweet, amplify, and share everything we do!
It's that time of year when more things are happening than a single calendar can capture. Check out some of our favorite community calendars here. Stay busy, and stay kinky!
LEATHER & LGBTQ CULTURAL DISTRICT
584 Castro Street #140
San Francisco, CA 94114